Krama Yoga – Cambodia
Krama Yoga is a Cambodian-run Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) dedicated to bringing children and teens Yoga, and Yoga therapy to underprivileged young people in Cambodia. The purpose of Krama Yoga is to communicate healthy, community-oriented values to young people who are growing up in environments of extreme poverty and abuse. Developing self-awareness, confidence and moral sensitivity through physical practice and compassionate teaching helps young people break out of cycles of violence that are the natural symptoms of generational poverty. Krama Yoga Apprenticeship Program is a social rehabilitation program for eight young and committed Cambodian yoga practitioners. These six women and two men, aged 17-28, come from backgrounds of poverty, minimal formal education and extensive abuse: through their training at Krama Yoga, they are developing a vocation in yoga teaching and NGO management, as well as learning to understand and manage their own traumatic histories through group and yoga therapy in a way that will enable them to help others who have endured similar experiences.
Krama Yoga reaches out to over 250 kids from NGOs and government run orphanage centres through 20 weekly classes. These classes are taught by Krama Yoga Teaching Apprentices under the supervision of senior teachers from NataRaj Yoga, Krama Yoga’s host organisation.
Krama Yoga Aprenticeship Program is:
- Yoga Instruction – teaching methodology, anatomy and physiology, hands-on teacher training with feedback from a senior teacher, Sanskrit, Yoga philosophy and values;
- communications with donors and project supporters, training in project management and publicity, relationship building with partner organisations;
- group therapy and yoga therapy, psychoeducation, interpersonal and social skills, peer support skills; and
- an opportunity for young people with few choices in life to make a change for themselves and others.
Krama Yoga is a not-for-profit enterprise made possible by the generosity of the global yoga community. If you or your yoga studio wish to sponsor the professional development of a Krama Yoga teacher or staff member, or yoga classes for kids or teens, please contact Vannac Yan at email@example.com, and we will happily send you more information about our sponsorship packages, or custom design one with you.
Srey Neth is one of the apprentices. Watch her story here.
Smile Group – Vietnam
Smile Group works with children and their families living
below poverty level who are all either HIV+, have AIDS or have lost their parents to AIDS. Many grow up with grandparents or relatives ill-equipped to support and educate them in today’s society. Their goal is to help children discover the value of their own lives – an essential aspect of living with AIDS is the will to survive. Their mission “is to restore dignity and hope to young people in Vietnam affected by AIDS, through financial, educational, moral and psychological support.”
- access to the latest treatments, medical care and information on the care of AIDS, while encouraging preventative medicine;
- education in hygiene, nutrition and lifestyle, vital for families living with HIV+;
- sponsorship to cover school fees and supplies, ensuring that every child attends school;
- home visits and advocacy; and
- classes in english, computer studies, tae kwon do, art and Yoga, and weekly meetings in a park where joy and laughter is brought to children’s lives through games, music, parties and Yoga.
Smile Group has full time case workers and a pool of extraordinary volunteers who generously give their time and affection to the children through weekly activities and classes. They welcome any support, practical or financial.
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-21277388-1']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);